This video shows how to make slow cooker beef stew (carne guisada) so that you can spend more time with your family and less time in the kitchen.
Helen Cavallo shows you how to make savory beef stew using carne asada with a homemade gravy. You will love the results.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew (Carne Guisada)Ingredients:
- 2 pounds beef chunks — can use boneless beef chuck, or a more expensive cut but for this recipe the preferred cut is chuck
- 4 carrots1 yellow onion
- 3 garlic bulbs
- 4 cups of stock (chicken or beef stock –to your liking)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil (approx)
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup of balsamic vinegar
- Clean, peel & cut carrots, onion and garlic into large chunks and set aside.
- Cut beef into large cubes (2″ pieces), drizzle olive oil to the bottom of a heavy stockpot just to cover and turn heat to medium-high.
- Season each batch with salt and pepper.
- Add beef to pot.You want to sear each piece until it is browned on all sides but not cooked through.
- Work beef in batches, being sure not to crowd the pan.Set aside once browned.Add carrot, garlic, onion chunks to the pot and cook approx 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan (scraping up all the brown bits from the bottom by slowly adding your stock, balsamic vinegar).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add beef back to the pot with the liquid w veggies.
- You want all contents almost submerged but not drowning.The flour from the beef and the balsamic will thicken the liquid for your stew.
- Turn the flame to low so that all ingredients are simmering, the idea is you want to cook the pot low and slow so that the beef has time to tenderize and cook slowly.
- You want to cook the beef for about 2 hrs on low heat 325 degree oven or you can put in a slow cooker set on low, start it in the morning and have it prepared by the time you get home!
- You can check for doneness by inserting a fork and seeing if the beef is tender.
- The longer it cooks tenderer and flavorful it becomes.
Have fun!! It’s so easy to make!!